Saturday, January 23, 2010

My music

I have been attending quite a number of live showcases, concert an award show since my first big concert, Konsert Satu at Istana Budaya last year. I have been to Konsert Fantasia Tour rehearsal, Konsert Sesuci Lebaran, Konsert Inspirasi Tv3 and the latest, Anugerah Juara Lagu 24. The only similarity that each share is, either one did feature Dato Siti Nurhaliza as the performer. It has been my lifetime dream to listen to her singing right before my eyes.
I am aware that some of my guy friends find it gross to be a big FAN of Dato Siti Nurhaliza. Instead, they suggestively insist that I should be listening to perhaps Mest, Oasis, Blink 182, The City and Horses, The Exter Popes or Twice as Brigh etc...
I do admit that sometimes, being surrounded by this friend circle of mine, I found it a bit thwarting and embarrassing to even mention Dato Siti's name when they talk about psychedelic music, hippie counterculture, the DIY anti-corporatism (Indie band), punk rock and even hip hop.
But this is something that I personally love. My soul is so sentimental as my dear someone described which is agreed by my few other friends. If you have a chance to listen to my mp3 player, you would not be too surprised to find yourself soundly asleep not even before you finish listening to the first song.
But, hey. Don't you get me wrong. I do listen to The American Reject, Secondhand Serenade, Rain, Ne-yo, Green Day, Eamon, One Buck Short, Bunkface, Kavana, Jason Myraz, James Blunt, Daniel Powter, Gary Chow, Gallen Lo, Ethnic Transmission, David Cook, Daughtry, Clay Alken, Brian Adam, Bowling for Soup, Avenged Sevenfold, Zee Avi, Unwritten Law, The Official, Simple Plan, Westlife, Jay Chow, Raymond Lam, Side A, Rembrandts and so much more.
I am not completely or entirely drowning in Siti's music alone, alright. For the matter of fact, I did positively & fairly criticize her music which I may sometimes find dull and boring. I have as well encounter this W-T-F-and-W-T-H-experiences watching her performances.
Call my playlist soapy, mellow or melodious if that pleased you. I don't mind because in a trying time, I found my strength just by listening to those easy and ear-friendly tune. Interestingly though, I consider myself a universal listener. I don't strictly confine myself to only one type of music. I appreciate others as much as a true musician does. In certain occasion, don't faint if you see me headbanging to some hardcore stuffs, or hysterically singing the song that is so not me. Maybe you would one day find me in a gig enjoying the loud, heavy bass. I do find pleasure in exploring other genres and appreciate others' work of art genuinely.
Thus, I wonder why do some of my friends find Dato Siti Nurhaliza, Westlife, Plus One or Celine Dion sickening? In Siti's case maybe because she is overrated or is it because she is overly, heavily publicized? But, as a true musician as you self-declared, she does have this gift and talent that everyone in this industry wanted, right? Let's appreciate the TRUE TALENT rather than discriminating singers by their music preference. Let's condemn others not anymore because they sing the music that is not friendly to our ears. Let's understand that you are uniquely you and you and I are just different. Let's celebrate this diversity in harmony; placing people appropriately based on their true talent and hardwork. Are you with me?
Well, love it or hate it, I will be attending Konsert Satu Suara this coming Feb, 14th at Istana Budaya. This concert would feature Aizat and Faizal Tahir as well as Dato Siti Nurhaliza in a short slot. Before I leave UKM, I would seal it by attending Dato' Siti Nurhaliza's 15th Anniversary Concert which is scheduled in April.