Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Heartless lady doctor

I would not be appalled to see people leaving hospital with a very sour face. How would they not if upon their visit for consultation, follow-up and what not, all they get was a stern remark from a doctor whom they regard to the highest degree? Supposedly, a hospital is where a person may find a peace of mind partly because people know that they are in a good hand with great doctors around them. Ironically, with their already frail condition, their suffering is made double. When the patient inquisitively-but-reverently asked for their godly-professional opinions about their well-being, the doctor shouts and yells at them. They make fun of them. They make faces. They even walked away so inconsiderately leaving their clients helplessly weeping in pain.

Where does this come from? I was on my third visit to a nearby clinic for a follow-up. So, after a nerve-racking waiting that took everlastingly forever, I finally got a chance to see a doctor. When my name was summoned, I respectfully greeted the doctor a warm “Good morning,” in which I received a mute responds. Maybe she didn’t hear me.

What came next was totally unanticipated. I told her that I needed a couple of days of SICK LEAVE because I could hardly walk and stand. How do you expect me to teach and control my students in such a weak state? Furthermore, my injured right arm would not allow me to hold a chalk and even take the wheel quite yet. It is a 40-minute drive to reach my school, ok. These were the missing facts that this lady doctor has unexpectedly failed to acknowledge. Out of a blue, after she glanced through my discharge summary, she provocatively questioned my request. She said that my arm could not be in pain since it was not stated in my discharge summary.

Owh, come on! Couldn’t you see the obvious? My arm was all wrapped up. I walked like an aging old man. Did you need me to scream in anguish to prove that I AM still in PAIN? Or maybe you needed a more dramatic evidence like walking into you room with my hand wiggling and bleeding? Only then would you be satisfied? Doctor dear, the one whom should get the blame is your fellow colleague who did not wholly provide you with such a great details. And, mind you! I am not A PART of your flawed system which you have unknowingly highlighted and made more apparent with your defective manner. For goodness sake, I am you client; an unfairly and unkindly treated client. Erm, let us not pin down the guilty party here.

Looking at the situation again, all I asked from her was to responsibly grant me a couple of days of sick leave. Before I left the room, I too asked for few necessary medications that may facilitate my recovery which slipped through my mind at first. She annoyingly and disgustingly looked at me and barked “Why didn’t you mention about it earlier?”

It was a direct pang. She ruined my day. Only if you mercifully and graciously nurse me, my wound might as well heal instantly. I have suffered enough. I do not need more. You do not have to intensify my misery. SEE!!! WHAT HAVE YOU UNJUSTLY DONE to the rest of the other doctors whom have compassion in their hearts?

P/S: May I suggest you to redefine the word D.O.C.T.O.R? Make it noble.

1 comment: