Wednesday, January 5, 2011

An accident That NEARLY Takes my Soul Away

This unfortunate event happened on December 19th 2010 at 1720 hours at Tanjung Skrang, Sri Aman-Betong route. As yet, I could not rub out any part of these fear-provoking details from my reminiscence. That day would remain as an unyielding reminder that I have been given a second chance. Let me first describe what had actually happened.
Earlier that morning, my mum and I was in Kota Samarahan, attending my aunt’s wedding reception. After that excellent wedding do, I slept for nearly 2-hour before hitting the road home. It was 2.20 in the afternoon when we started my journey home after visiting my grandparents’ burial ground. After driving for two and a half hours, my mum suggested we took a minute or two in Lachau. There, we enjoyed a bowl of noodle each. The journey continued until we reached our next stop which was Jelukong. I gulped a can of cold 100 Plus which I found so refreshing. So, I was physically sound.
As we moved on, we witnessed two road accidents which definitely sent chill to my spine. It had never crossed my mind that the third one would involve us. Suddenly, after a 15-minute drive, I saw an Avanza fast approaching from the opposite direction. I saw that particular MPV skidded into my lane and within split second, "PANGGGGGGG." A sudden silence blanketed us.
As I regained my consciousness, the pain, the shock, everything were indescribable. Opening my eyes had never felt that difficult in my lifetime. I could not talk as my chest was in terrible pain. I somehow managed to say these few words which I vividly remember, "Mummy, ukai salah aku mummy." The very next thing I did was to press the honk.
I was lucky that the passers-by were very helpful. They took out the car battery and carefully dragged my wounded mum out of the badly smashed car. The people from nearby longhouse also rushed over and tried their very best to take me out from the car. Their attemps however, failed.
While waiting for the ambulance to come, my mum managed to make few calls, alerting the rest of my family of what had just happened. A moment later, from afar, I heard a relieving ambulance siren buzzing. Despite her horrific condition, she washed their hands of. She did not want to leave me alone and insisted the people to take her boy to safety and would only agree to leave the scene with me. The medical team, on the other hand, persistently told my mum that she had to go first and reassured her that I would be in the good hand. They took my mum to the nearest hospital which was Betong Hospital.
There I was, trapped in the appalingly damaged car, painfully waiting for the fireman to come for the rescue. I spent not a single second alone. There were people around whom promised me that things would definitely turn out to be better. I was also being consoled by a lady who is a Sister Nurse working in Hospital Betong. She grabbed my bleeding hand and patted my back and whispered to my ears that everything will be okay. By some means, the unbearable pain subsided.
Finally, the fireman arrived. The process was not easy. It took them nearly 30-minute to successfully take me out unharmed. After about an hour and a half of tormenting waiting, I was then rushed to Betong Hospital.
The ambulance ride was not pleasant at all. It was so bouncy and sharp pain started to attack me from every corner of my body. The pain was getting more and more unbearable. How much longer would I be able to withstand this shooting twinge? After that 10-minute gruesome ride which felt like hours, I arrived at Emergency Room, just in time.
I was immediately attended to by a trauma team. They ripped opened my clothes and continued with the necessary medical emergency procedures. The entire process was the longest and the most painful EVER.
In sum, I received 11 stitches on my upper right arm. My right cheeks were severely scratched. Bruises, scars and deeps wounds were pretty well noticeable. I spent a night in Betong Hospital and was discharged the next morning because I needed to make a police report. I spent another night in Sibu Hospital the day later. In Sibu Hospital, I went through a very thorough medical examination. I went for X-Ray, Ultrasound and CT Scan. To my relief, I was free from any fracture. There was only a minimal liquid discharge observable between my kidney and liver. The doctor said it is something that I should not worry about. I was discharged from the Male Surgical Ward in the afternoon the next day after the doctor was done with his final examination on me. I was unable to stand, bend and stretch my body for the first week of the accident. Every little movement would cost me an insufferable pain.
It has been 3-week after the accident that nearly takes my life away. At present, I feel so much better. I could already walk around but I need to watch every step very carefully. I do still experience the pain on my right rib ecspecially when I cough and bend my body. Standing up is still another challenge. I need to rest for another couple of days before I come back to work.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Heard the terrible news frm Ambun. What a gruesome experience you had there. Get well soon bro. God's blessings be with you and your family always. Amen.

valentine87 said...

allo umpang~ I'm so happy that you are getting better.. Rehat2 ba rumah auk.. Anang keja berat2... my sympathy for the accident... get well soon...*enda sabar ku ka pulai ninga crita ari dik~~ God Bless U~

Nurul Razak said...

Hi Walter, sorry to hear about the accident. heard from Ambun too. Must be scary to think back but be strong. I hope you'll get better in no time and return to school. Happy new year anyway =)

Walt said...

Thanks a lot guys!!! Luv u all...

caramel sweetness said...

walter, din know u were involved in a road accident until i saw hai's picture. God bless you and your family for a speedy recovery. Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Syukur kitak sekda apa2. Takut kamek baca entri tok. Hehe.