Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Degree in B.Ed TESL (Hons.)

Every so often, I purposely threw this question to some of my friends to seek for their views on this modest feat that we share. “How do you feel about obtaining your degree soon?” Some scarcely see any value of it. Some could hardly feel just about anything. Some even unenthusiastically respond to my lame question. I wonder what makes a degree holder feel so disgraceful. Is it because education at any level is so easily obtained? Then, OUM is at fault? Huhuhu.. Or maybe because by the end of this course we do not have to even bother to think about job-hunt? Thus makes this ownership of B.Ed TESL Degree less exciting? Or is it because it is JUST a DEGREE? Therefore, it does not worth a respect or an admiration at least? Emmm, with ado respect, before I proceed any further, I do understand that everyone does entitle to his or her own opinion and I also understand clearly that we hold a different value. Hence, this resulted in mix-response, expectedly.

When I asked myself, “What does it mean to have a piece of paper embedded with such a title on it?” I feel a bit teary by some means. So, again, what does it mean to have a piece of paper embedded with such a title on it? Pride? Honour? Grace? Personally, I am happy that I have advanced myself to this level because it is not that easy though but not entirely difficult as well. I have a long, long windy passage ahead of me. This is just a beginning of another more breathtaking sail. So much like him and her and you, I do have a plan for my future too. A master degree and almost certainly a PHD will be coming up next.

I did not quite answer the question yet, right? O.K. I’ll spill it. At one point, it is unbelievable. This is something that I have been working on for the past six-year. Now, I am reaping what I have sown. Shouldn’t I be at least contented? Guess I should. Being happy simply means I do acknowledge the Greater power that keeps me at bay. Thanks, Lord. Smiling for this blessing also signifies that I do acknowledge everyone behind this successful journey. Nevertheless, I will not be too swollen with pride because this accomplishment is in fact only the beginning and in comparison with other more remarkable feats out there, mine is almost nothing. However, looking at my personal triumph per se, this is something I should be proud of.

So what if you have a degree one may ask. This is my most honest answer. No matter what I feet, I should be able to see the bigger picture of this six years voyage. This piece of paper is not just a piece of paper to my parents. It is not only another certificate. It represents their investment. It represents their sweat. It is the reflection of their commitment. It marks another phase of their successful stories. To the local community, it serves as an eye-opener, as a brainwave, an inspiration to keep going. I may fit very well in the Iban hall of fame for this very little achievement.

Academic excellence may not be the only thing but it is my everything. Unlike others who are good in business, who can sing or dance or do sports or have a very strong financial background, they can further flourish their faculty sometimes later in the future even without this insignificant degree. I, on the other hand, have nothing else to rely on but my scholastic merit and my EQ expertise that would be the plus point. Likewise, seeing my parents shimmering smile whenever the final exam result is announced better explains why high grade is so significant to me. That also explains why my face turns purple and grey when there is a cutback in my score. So, I shall value the Degree scroll that I am about to receive this August. My CGPA might not be as astounding but I am pleased to harvest what I have planted. So, 3.60 it is and I am a proud Dgree holder of Bachelor of Education in TESL. There are more to come.. There are more…

No comments: